Town and gown are two distinct communities of a university town; "town" being the non-academic population and "gown" being the university community.
The Town & Gown Committee convened for the first time in June 2010. The Committee currently meets twice a year, in the Spring and the Fall, and as needed.
- Provide a forum for key constituents – including the City of Toronto, municipal services, York University, students, the residents association, and community members – to collaborate on activities that ensure a cohesive and safe community,
- Collect and share information,
- Identify issues and develop solutions to problems of common interest, and
- Advise, liaise and facilitate communication with each other in the period between meetings of the Committee.
- Community and Alumni Relations
- Campus Services and Business Operations
- President's Office
- Government Relations
- Security Services
- Transportation & Student Services
- Vice-President Advancement
- Vice-Provost Students
York University Development Corporation
York Federation of Students
City of Toronto
- City Councillor, Ward 8
- Toronto Fire Services
- Toronto Police Services, 31 Division
- Toronto Parking Services
- Transportation Services
- Municipal Licensing and Standards
- City Planning Division
- Economic Development & Culture
Community Relations and the Town & Gown Committee are responsible for the creation and distribution of the Good Neighbour Guide which outlines safety and security tips, and rights and responsibilities of tenants living in the off-campus housing known as the Village at York. The Committee and other members of the community support the distribution in September every year.
York University is a member of the Town and Gown Association of Ontario.
For more information please contact the Community Relations Office at 416-739-2100 x.44206; firstname.lastname@example.org